New on THE KINDCRAFT
Events — North America
Events — Europe
Business + Entrepreneurship
Items We Noticed...
- We've all heard stories of exploited workers hiding notes inside product—but is anyone following the supply chain back to validate their claims? Tremendous journalism by Rossalyn Warren and Channing Huang for Vox;
An eye-opening look inside Italy’s shadow economy of low-paid home workers who create luxury garments without contracts or insurance;
Wonderful profile about how Bangladesh's Aarong puts the artisan first in their business model of sustainability and inclusiveness. I had a chance to visit the company's headquarters in Dhaka a few years ago and came away very impressed by their comprehensive approach;
The NY Times examines how Trump’s Tariffs are driving the garment industry to move more factories out of China to places like Cambodia;
Sustainability + Labor
A Slew of New Sustainability Stories
- Environmental campaigner and The One Show reporter Lucy Siegle has come up with a five point plan to tackle plastic pollution;
- Highsnobiety's 'From the Ground Up' explores how sustainability Is impacting the sneaker design world;
- Burberry says it won’t destroy unsold merch anymore (but plenty of other fashion brands still do...);
- Swiss Bid for Sustainable Food May Run It Into Trade Trouble;
- George Monbiot on why we won’t save the Earth with a better kind of disposable coffee cup. Good stuff;
- Is a Luxury Object Made in a Lab More Desirable One Made by Hand?;
- Finally—what better headline for a story about post-apocalyptic weaving could there be than "The E-Waste Apocalypse Looms"? (Answer: None).
Wrapping Up / Looking Ahead
✊🏼Thanks for Reading the BRIEF!
You're the type of person that reads emails to the very end—surely one of your many, many wonderful qualities as a human being. We love putting together the BRIEF for you and, if you want to support future editions, here's how:
- Join the list of wonderful people who underwrite THE KINDCRAFT's stories via our Patreon community
- If you're promoting an ethical/sustainable business or event, why not sponsor an issue of THE KINDCRAFT BRIEF!)?
- Buy something from our online shop or from our curated collections of books.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter;
- We like hearing from you — Send us a note to let us know how we're doing!